Conservation Calendar Photo Contest
Attention, shutterbugs - we are looking for your best photos of creatures big and small at the Potawatomi Zoo to be featured in our 2017 Conservation Calendar and in other print and web-based projects. Please read the guidlines below for more information and we look forward to seeing your work!
How to Enter
Step 1: Enter a digital photo following our Submission Guidlines in one or all categories listed below beginning June 15, 2016 through July 31, 2016.
Step 2: Four finalists from each category will be posted on our Facebook page August 3, 2016. All of our fans can vote for their favorite photos by using the "like" feature on each photo. The photos with the most Facebook "likes" in each category will be our winners.
Step 3: "Like" your favorite finalists' photos from August 3, 2016 through 4pm on August 31, 2016.
Step 4: Winners from each category will be announced September 6, 2016 on the Potawatomi Zoo Facebook page. The winning photos will be featured in the Zoo's 2017 Conservation Calendar.
- Africa : African Wild Dog, Ankole Cattle, Warthog, Zebra
- Ambassador Animals : African Serval, Fennec Fox, Red-Tailed Hawk, Sugar Glider, Three-Banded Armadillo
- Americas : American Bison, Collared Peccary, Giant Anteater, North American River Otter
- Amphibians / Invertebrates / Reptiles : All Amphibians, Invertebrates, and Reptiles in the Learning Center, American Alligator, Chinese Alligator
- Australia : Kangaroo, Wallaby
- Birds : Cockatoo, Crested Screamer, Emu, Flamingo, All Hornbill Species, Kookaburra, Macaw, Ostrich, Peacock, All Swan Species, White Ibis, White-Naped Crane
- Camel / Muntjac / Takin
- Cats : African Lion, Amur Leopard, Amur Tiger, Bobcat, Snow Leopard
- Primates : Chimpanzee, Colobus, Cotton-Top Tamarin, Diana Monkey, Golden Lion Tamarin, Ring-Tailed Lemur, Spider Monkey, Squirrel Monkey, White Faced Saki
- Red Panda
- Small Mammal : Banded Mongoose, Bats, Patagonian Cavy, All Porcupine Species, Prairie Dog, Red-Rumped Agouti, Tree Shrew
- Zoo Farm : Alpaca, Barn Owl, Chicken, Domestic Cow, Domestic Rabbit, Donkey, Goat, Pot-Bellied Pig, Sheep
- Zoo Scenery : Engangered Species Carousel, Potawatomi Zoo Train, Zoo Grounds
- All photos must be submitted via e-mail to email@example.com or mailed on a CD to the Potawatomi Zoo (PO Box 1764 - Attn: Photo Contest - South Bend, IN 46634) beginning June 15, 2016 through July 31, 2016. Due to the number of submissions received, we will not be able to respond to each message or submission individually. Finalists for each category will be notified by e-mail prior to the Facebook announcement on August 3, 2016.
- Submissions must include name, mailing address, daytime phone number, and your age (if under age 18). Those 18 and under must include a parent or guardian's contact information for permission to enter. Current Potawatomi Zoo staff, consultants, volunteers, and docents may not participate.
- You may enter one photo per category, for a maximum of 13 photos. Photo resolution must be 300 dpi when viewed at full-page size (11"x8.5"). Landscape/horizontal images are preferred for use in the calendar. If you submit more than one photo per category you forfeit your inclusion in said category.
- Subject matter details: Photos taken at the Potawatomi Zoo within the last year beginning January 1, 2016. Photos should not include animals no longer living at Potawatomi Zoo. Do not submit any photos with an identifiable person or persons. Do not submit photos with watermarks - we will give you photo credit in the calendar and on any other print or web-based projects your photos are used for.
- Do not enter photos that you did not take or that infringe upon anyone else's copyright.
- We reserve the right to disqualify photos for any reason.
The 13 winners, 1 from each category (those receiveing the most "likes"), will receive a copy of the 2017 Conservation Calendar by mail.
The photo which receives the most "likes" overall will be considered the Grand Prize Winner. The winner's photo will grace the cover of our calendar and the winner will receive a one-year membership to the Potawatomi Zoo (valued up to $70) and a copy of the 2017 Conservation Calendar.
Permission to Use Submitted Photos by Potawatomi Zoo and Zoological Society
By submitting any photos into the contest, you give the Potawatomi Zoo and Potawatomi Zoological Society permission to use them now and in the future for purposes of publication, including but not limited to marketing and promotional materials, educational materials, printed materials, television broadcasts, websites, internal communications, and signage. You will not be compensated for such use outside of the prizes awarded as described above at the discretion of the Potawatomi Zoo. However, where reasonable, we will give you credit for the photos.
By entering the contest, you agree to all of the above.
As a non-profit entity, the Potawatomi Zoological Society relies heavily on donations from the community, including in-kind services and goods. This photo contest is an example of that - we are seeking donated photos of our animals to help promote the Zoo. In addition, our contest rules are similar to many other photo contests.
We truly appreciate all submissions for our contest, and we hope it will serve as a fun and exciting way to showcase the Potawatomi Zoo and promote civic pride in this unique community amenity.