Director of Development and Marketing
~~The Potawatomi Zoological Society (PZS) seeks a senior level, dynamic Director of Development and Marketing. This new position, working closely with the Executive Director, will lead and direct all marketing and development activities for the Potawatomi Zoo/Zoological Society.
On January 1, 2014, PZS entered into a landmark agreement with the City of South Bend to manage the entire operations of the Zoo under a new public/private partnership. The City will continue to provide funding support to the Zoo with PZS running all aspects of the Zoo from animal management to guest services to attractions, events, and membership. The Director will join the Zoo leadership team during an exciting time of development for the Zoo. After many years of growth in attendance and membership, the Zoo is poised to move to the next level as a leading attraction and destination for the Michiana region. Much is already planned over the next couple of years including the creation of a new Strategic Master Plan; the addition of a carousel, and a new red panda exhibit. The Director of Development and Marketing will be an integral part of these initiatives and the Zoo’s on-going success. He/she will be a key player in identifying, cultivating, securing, and stewarding the relationships and resources that will be critical for the Zoo to grow and thrive. The Zoo, already a highly visible and one of the top family attractions in the City, will further benefit and gain more awareness with the new Director’s expertise in communication and marketing.
The Director of Development and Marketing will be a key member of the senior leadership team. The ideal candidate is a leader and strategic thinker with a proven track record managing successful, million dollar capital campaigns and cultivating and soliciting significant major gifts. The Director will be responsible for developing marketing, advertising, and communication campaigns, including working on a wide range of events, projects, promotions and partnerships to advance the visibility of Potawatomi Zoo with the goal of driving attendance as well as attracting new groups and partners to the Zoo. This position will proactively cultivate new marketing partnerships and cross-promotional opportunities with new and existing partners. This position is also responsible for creating and executing marketing plans tied to specific initiatives, marketing segmentation and analytics, marketing sponsorships/trades and tracking and evaluating marketing activities.This position works closely with the Executive Director of the Zoo and the Board of Directors to achieve contributed income goals. The Director of Development and Marketing reports to the Executive Director.
• Create and implement a comprehensive annual fundraising plan, including, but not limited to, annual appeals, major gift solicitation, membership, corporate and foundation giving, grant writing, special event fundraising, and planned giving.
• Identify, cultivate and solicit donors for major gifts.
• Recruit, train and support key volunteers for capital campaign fundraising and major special events (galas).
• Provide guidance and direction and coordinate strategic planning for growth of membership base and the migration of members to donors.
• Develop fundraising plans for the capital campaign.
• Establish and maintain positive relationships with individuals, foundations and corporate donors on the Zoo’s behalf.
• Develop and maintain forecasts of annual contributed income goals.
• Ensure donor retention through a stewardship plan that includes appropriate gift acknowledgement and recognition.
• Oversee appropriate staff involved in the planning and execution of fundraising events.
• Work closely with the Development Committee of the Board of Directors to advance Zoo’s fundraising efforts.
• As a key member of the senior leadership team, provide input and guidance for strategic and operational organizational planning.
• Cultivate strong relationships with the Executive Director, leadership staff, the Board and its committees, donors, community leaders, and Zoo staff.
• Create and execute comprehensive marketing plans tied to specific initiatives (includes marketing to guests on grounds as well as marketing to the general public as well as identified target audiences)
• Proactively cultivate new partnerships and cross-promotional opportunities with a wide range of new and existing partners
• Track and analyze marketing plans and execution to measure effectiveness
• Supervises Development Department staff. Direct reports include Membership Manager and Special Events and Program Manager.
Qualifications & Requirements
• 7 years of progressive responsibility in development, capital campaigns, annual fund and major gift solicitation or proven track record of success in fundraising
• Previous leadership in a successful major capital campaign.
• Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communication.
• Experience working with Executive Leadership and Board members and volunteers.
• Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
• Strong visual presentation skills
• Ability to manage multiple concurrent tasks, re-prioritizes work and be flexible, as well as meet tight deadlines.
• Ability to interpret, follow, and recommend policies and procedures.
• Ability to analyze cost effectiveness of programs (cost per dollar raised, return on investment, program growth, etc.) and report financial data.
• Previous employee management experience preferred.
• Must have the ability to work evenings, weekends, holidays, and special events.
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university required.
• Energy, enthusiasm and confidence in building relationships on behalf of the Zoo
• Entrepreneurial spirit, ability to take initiative in planning, organizing and effectively presenting ideas and concepts; independent strategic thinker
• Ability to multi-task coupled with a high energy level
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Team player with a collaborative spirit
• Passion for education and animals preferred
• Certified Fund Raising Executive designation
• Prior experience working in a zoo related or non-profit area desired but not required
Position available starting ASAP. Full time with salary based on experience. Benefits available after a probationary period.
To apply please send resume and cover letter to PO Box 1764, South Bend, IN 46634 Attn: Director of Development and Marketing Search or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org .